Sunday 1 July 2007

High as a kite by ten

So, this is my very first post in my very first proper blog. Gee, Im so excited I can barely keep myself from falling off this chair... NO, I never exaggerate, what are you on about? O_o

Since nothing particularely interesting happened today I thought I'd start by telling you about what I did last last thursday, namely some flying! The initial plan was that I and another pilot I don't know except by name were supposed to take our beloved Cessna to Umeå airport for a scheduled maintenance check. Now these planes, however small they might seem, have a capacity for carrying 4 people so an idea sprung to mind. Why not bring someone I know? That someone happened to be my second cousin and neighbor. When the other pilot heard of this he decided not to come at all. Weird, but hey, that meant we'd both get to sit up front, I wasn't going to complain xD

So said and done, at 5 am we headed off for the small airport about an hour's drive from home. At this point we were both insanely tired but expectant as to what the day might bring. From the time we got there until take-off, which was about an hour and a half, we had some breakfast, pushed the plane out from the hangar (takes a while), did a visual inspection of the fuselage, refueled and finally completed all the preflight checklists. Now all that remained was to push the throttle forward and take to the skies. And so we did!

After little over an hour of soaring about in a sky coloured orange by the morning sun the wheels touched down in Umeå. As by a miracle we managed to get on the bus (which apparently wasn't supposed to pick up passengers at the bus stop since that particular route had been cancelled for the summer O_o). My very first thought when we stepped of the bus was that this town had been subjected to a ruthless terrorist attack and was now completely deserted. The streets were empty and almost nothing seemed to be open. Luckily, this was not the case. We spent the first few hours walking around trying to familiarize ourselves with the layout of the city and also stopped for a quick cup of coffee (coke in my case). I also bought the most expensive chocolate muffin ever. Around eleven the stores finally opened. After that we did some serious shoe shopping, found the music store and tried some different guitars, ate lunch, walked, walked some more and... feet-death followed =/

What we felt when at 4 in the afternoon some guy finally called from the airport to tell us that the airplane was ready can only be described as relief. But as we tried to make our way back it started raining. Not good! Rain means clouds, not seldom low and intimidating ones, which in turn means no flying >_< Uh oh... we were now looking at the prospect of being forced to spend the night somewhere else entirely than what we had planned (our own beds). After some thorough and time-consuming weather research we decided to give it a try. The gods must have been smiling at us, or possibly laughing so hard that they forgot to throw those thunderstorms they'd been working on for so long at us, seeing there were almost no clouds at all between us and home. Only a couple of small, fluffy and really cute looking cumulus clouds stopped by to say hello and we, who didn't want to disappoint them of course, flew around them for a while pretending we were fighter pilots on a top secret mission. Lots of fun let me tell you!

So yeah, that was the story about when I saved the world from maneating giants. Oh, sorry, did I wake you up? I thought you were paying attention. Ahwell, no matter. I hope reading this hasn't killed you or left you in a state of mental breakdown. If that happens to be the case Im deeply sorry.

That's if for now. Oh, I nearly forgot. There's someone (way) out there I miss so incredibly much that it's almost driving me crazy. So, now that's said and equilibrium has once again been restored in the galaxy. Phew. Close call.

Go in peace! V

No comments: